You may be curious about highlighting and contouring your face, but aren’t sure if you can pull it off. After all, if you have ever seen someone with a bad contour job, you know that it can be a difficult skill to master. However, when done right, contouring and highlighting can bring out your best features. In this blog, we will go over some important tips for contouring and highlighting, and on what areas of the face you should use your new skills.
Start with a primer. This ensures that all your hard work doesn’t go to waste!
- Get the right makeup brushes: get two small and fluffy brushes for precise application. Use one for contouring and one for highlighting. Shop Blank Canvas Cosmetics for a wide selection of professional makeup brushes!
- Use natural light. Many people contour or highlight in the wrong light, and are then horrified when they actually go out into the sun and find they look like a clown. Use as much natural light as you can.
- Stay light, then layer. It’s easier to add more than take away, so start with a light hand and then layer more product on as necessary.
- Blend. Initially, your contour will look harsh. Don’t forget to gently blend the color for a softer, natural look.
- Use matte products for contouring, and shimmer products for highlighting.
- Finish by applying a translucent powder with a big fluffy brush to ensure your contouring and highlighting last all day long.
When contouring and highlighting your face, start with contouring. The purpose of contouring is to create dimension in the face. This is particularly important in photography, where faces can fall flat. You should contour where shadows naturally fall on your face.
Use a contour pallette like one of the many we offer from Blank Canvas Cosmetics for the right range of colors. In general, you want to use a matte brown, taupe, or bronze. Don’t use a bronzer, as this will be too orange for contouring and will look unnatural. You should contour your:
- Temples: Contouring your temples makes your face look more oval-shaped. Oval-shaped faces are ideal for applying makeup.
- Nose: When you contour your nose, you want to make sure it doesn’t look too narrow, which can make your face look completely different. The purpose of contouring your nose is to make it look more defined in photos, not make it look like you got a nose job! Add depth with your contouring, but don’t over do it.
- Cheekbones: Contouring your cheekbones will make your face look thinner and more defined. Be conscious about how much you are putting on and be sure to blend well or it will look your face is just dirty. Use a light hand to make sure you don’t look like you have mud on your face.
- Jaw: Contouring your jaw line gives your face more definition and shape because it emphasizes the difference between your neck and your face. If you worry about double chins in photos, contouring your jaw is a must.
- Eyelid crease: When you contour your eyelid crease, it creates the illusion of depth, making your eyes pop. This is an optional step, but it really adds drama to your eye makeup.
- Inner eye corners: This is a good trick if you are self-conscious about the size of your nose as it will make it look narrower. It also deepens the eyes.
In contrast, highlighting is used to bring focus to certain parts of the face. It should be applied where light naturally falls on your face, just as where you contour should be where the shadows fall. You can enhance your features by highlighting:
- The center of your forehead: Highlighting the center of your forehead helps create the oval shape, bringing your forehead out to balance your face after your contouring.
- Under your eyes: This trick helps to disguise any dark circles or tired eyes. The shimmer in the highlighter brightens the area and reflects light, adding radiance to your entire face.
- Chin: By highlighting your chin, you separate it from your jawline and complete the illusion of an oval-shaped face.
- Bridge of your nose: When you highlight the bridge of your nose, it makes your face look longer and more three-dimensional.
- Brow bone: Your brow bone is space between your eyebrows and eyelid. When you highlight your brow bone, it makes your eyes look deeper set and therefore, more dramatic. For a sophisticated look, highlighting the brow bone is essential.
- Center of your lips: For this, you want to use a lighter shade of lipstick than the one you are wearing on your lips. This is best for women with thinner lips so they look poutier and plumper. Alternatively, you can use a dab of clear gloss on the center of your lips.
- Your neck: If you are wearing a lower top, don’t forget to highlight the center of your neck to make it look longer.
- Collarbone: The collarbone is a very attractive feature on your body, so you want to enhance it and show it off. When you highlight your collarbone, you may want to use both a cream and powder highlighter to ensure staying power.
At Blank Canvas Cosmetics, we offer highlight and contour palettes you can use to enhance your beauty. Shop our online store today!
You looked like a goddess this morning when you first applied your makeup, but as the day went on, all of your hard work faded and you were left with a smudged mess on your face at the end of the day. Fading makeup is a common problem, hence why there are so many different [...]
Now that the weather is getting cold and winter is right around the corner, you will be hardpressed to find the opportunity to naturally get that sunkissed look. Fortunately, the world of beauty has endowed us with solutions to pretty much every issue of this kind. For this one, there’s bronzer! Bronzer is a product [...]
When you love makeup as much as we do here at Blank Canvas Cosmetics, everyone knows. In fact, your friends and family might feel like they need to stage an intervention! It may have started with a single lipstick here or an eyeshadow there, but now, it’s a full-blown addiction. You know you spend too [...]
Lip liner is a great way to create a beautiful lip look, if you know how to use it correctly. In our previous blog, we began going over the best lip liner hacks. In this blog, we will continue our list.Use your cupid’s bow Your cupid’s bow can guide the rest of your lip liner [...]
You may not realize it, but your lip liner is a valuable tool that does more than simply keep your lipstick from bleeding. You can actually use your lip liner in a variety of ways to transform the appearance of your lips for the better. Read on for some lip liner hacks that can take [...]
We’ve all been there: your eye makeup looks flawless when you leave the house, but by the next time you look in a mirror, it has travelled down your face, making you look like a raccoon. Having smudges under your eyes can be very inconvenient, particularly if you don’t have makeup remover on you. As [...]
When you want flawless lipstick, you need to start with flawless lips. Your lips go through a lot on a daily basis, particularly if you do not pay special attention to them. Like a sponge, when your lips are moisturized, they plump. When they are dehydrated, your lips dry and shrivel. Your lips are particularly [...]
When you’re looking for a face makeup, there are so many different options out there, it may be difficult for you to choose. Fortunately, depending on what you need from your face makeup, there’s bound to be an option that suits your needs perfectly. Read on for our guide to choosing the right face makeup.Liquid [...]
Whether you struggle with puffy under eyes every day, or just occasionally after a long night, they can be a real downer on your beauty routine. Under-eye bags can be caused by many factors, including genetics, so you may feel resigned to just live with them. However, there are ways you may be able to [...]